Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Give Me My Shovel Back!


One of the most unpredictable aspects of any wedding is children.  As the photographer for Sunset Beach Weddings, I get the opportunity to see a lot of flower girls.  Each one is adorable as she makes her way down the aisle, dropping her petals before the bride’s entrance.  At least that is what is supposed to happen. 

Last April, at a beach wedding in Destin, Florida, I brought a container of rose petals intended to go in the flower girl’s basket.  As I delivered them to the bridal party, it was discovered the little girl’s basket had been forgotten.  A quick thinking uncle ran to the condo and brought back a beach pail with shovel.  How perfect for a beach wedding!  The rose petals were placed inside the pail and the processional started on time.

Right on cue, the little flower girl stepped off the boardwalk ready to make her way down the beach.  Instead of heading down the aisle however, she walked straight to me!  She held out her hand with the plastic sand shovel and said “Hold this.”  I took the shovel and stuck it in my back pocket.  The flower girl continued down the aisle dropping her petals as was intended.   The bride was walked down by her father, given away, and the ceremony started.  Right after the “I do’s”, I looked down to see the flower girl standing next to me.  At first I expected that she wanted me to take her picture, but what she said next I’ll never forget.  “Give me my shovel back!”


Ah my shovel! Sunset Beach Weddings

No comments:

Post a Comment